If you are a foreigner who wants to move to Turkey for employment purposes, you have to obtain a work permit and a work visa. For you to work or do business in Turkey, you must obtain a residency permit within one month of your arrival. Your future employer must apply for your work permit, once you found a job in Turkey. Without having a job in Turkey, foreigners cannot apply for a work permit for themselves.
How to Apply for a Work Permit?
Foreigners who want to obtain a work permit should make a job application to companies located in Turkey. A company can apply for a work permit for each foreigner in return for five Turkish employees. If the company accepts a foreigner’s job application, the foreigner will collect necessary documents and deliver it to the company. Foreigners and the company will sign a labor contract, and the company will be liable to apply for a work permit after that.
If the company that you are going to work with accepts your application without your presence, you do not have to visit Turkey before or during the application procedure.
You can see a chart of the application process for both foreigners residing outside of Turkey and for foreigners residing In Turkey, below.
What are the Eligibility Criteria?
The eligibility criteria change on the sector, the company, and the foreigner’s private conditions. You can find the criteria below.
- At the workplace that the foreigner is going to work, at least five persons who are citizens of the Republic of Turkey must be employed.
- The capital of the workplace must be at least TRY 100,000
- If foreigners entered Turkey as tourists, they are not eligible for a work permit.
- This criterion differs according to the profession. Therefore, you need to search for the salary of the profession.
- If the foreigner is a partner of the company, he/she shall have at least 20% of the total shares, equal to a minimum of TRY 40,000.
The required documents may vary according to the sector you are going to work.
Which Documents are Required?
The necessary documents required from the foreigner that applying for a work permit:
- Work visa application
- 1 photo
- A copy of the employment contract
- A copy of residence permit, valid for at least 6 months (If you don’t you also need to apply for a residence permit)
- Sworn translation or an official certified translation of diploma
The necessary documents required from the employer:
- Work permit application letter
- Foreign personnel application form
- A notarized power of attorney for the authorized person to use Online application system
- The Trade Registry Gazette of Turkey
- Balance sheet and profit and/or loss statement for the most recent year
- Social Security Institution registration number of the insured foreigner
How long is the Work Permit Process in Turkey?
After your employer submits the application, the evaluation of the application will be concluded within 30 days according to the workload of the related departments. After the waiting period, you will receive an e-mail from the Ministry about the result of your application. The next step is to pay the relevant fees then the work permit will be sent to your address.
What are the forbidden job fields for foreigners?
There are some professions that foreigners cannot perform in Turkey even though they have a work permit. You can find these jobs below.
- Security Officer
- Tourist Guide
- Customs Broker
- Director of Private Medical Institutions
- Engineer or seaman on diving, piloting captain, captain and ships inland waters
What are the Other Types of Work Permit?
- Permanent work permit
Foreigners that have a long-term residence permit, or that have been working for 8 years in Turkey with a valid work permit can be eligible for a permanent work permit. Nevertheless, permanent work permit holders cannot vote and work as a government official
- Temporary work permit
The employer obtains the work permit on behalf of his employee. A temporary work permit is granted only one year on the initial application. After one year, the employee can apply for an extension of the work permit. If the extension is approved, the employee may be granted up to 3 years of work permit on his/her first extension only if the employer is working for the same employer and the profession.
- Independent work permit
Foreigner is living in Turkey, legally and uninterruptedly, at least 5 years, can apply for an independent work permit, if they will work independently on his/her account.
The information above may change in the future due to the new laws that the government may make. To get the latest and detailed information about the subject matter, you can contact us at +90 533 158 81 81.