Turkish citizenship eligibility requirements are relatively simple: you must be of adult age (depending on your country of origin). You must have lived in Turkey for a minimum of five years, with a total interruption of fewer than six months. If you are married to a Turkish national or a foreigner born on Turkish soil, this is reduced to 3 years.
Your physical and mental health needs to be stable, and you must not have any criminal record. Also, you must have a basic knowledge of Turkish. Additionally, you have to prove that you can support yourself while living in Turkey if you are not married to a Turkish national. You will fulfill that requirement as long as you have a job. If not, though, through existing funds or pension payments, you may be able to prove this.
Applying for Turkish CitizenshipApplicants need to bring the following documents to a local government office to apply for Turkish citizenship.
- Valid passport
- Four passport-size photos
- Documents proving your relationships with your spouse and children (if applicable)
- Certificate proving you are in good mental and physical health
You will also need proof of your language ability in Turkish. You can prove this by an interview with a Turkish government official, your city or town hall. The interviews are subjective, and depending on the official, their difficulty varies. However, you should have no problem if you are fluent in Turkish.
When you bring your documents to the governmental hall, you will be provided with application forms. Your documents and applications will be forwarded to the Ministry of the Interior for evaluation once you have completed the required paperwork and paid an application fee. The Turkish Consulate General will inform you by mail of the results.
What Are the Types of Citizenship Applications?
Turkish Citizenship by National Authority Decision
Turkey may grant a foreigner wishing to acquire Turkish citizenship by the Ministry’s decision if he/she provides the conditions laid down in the law. If by a decision of the national authority, you become a Turkish citizen, the citizenship status of your spouse shall not change on the date of the acquisition of the citizenship of one of the parents of the children whose custody is granted the right to acquire Turkish citizenship with the consent of the other spouse. If the other parent disagrees, the action is taken following the judicial decision of one of the settlements between the parents. Children of parents who jointly gain Turkish citizenship will also gain citizenship. If, after becoming adults, children of parents who have not been treated with them request the acquisition of Turkish citizenship, they shall be covered by the article’s provisions on the general acquisition of Turkish citizenship.
Acquiring of Turkish Citizenship in General
If foreigners wish to obtain Turkish citizenship, they may become citizens by the ministry’s decision only if they meet the following conditions;
- The applicant must have the power of adult and discrimination under the law of the country of citizenship, and if he is stateless, he must have the power of adult and discrimination under the Turkish Civil Code No. 4721,
- Applicants must be persons residing in Turkey without interruption for five years before the date of application. A foreigner who asked to gain citizenship can be found outside of Turkey within not to exceed 12 months in total residence time wanted to apply. The period spent outside the periods of residence in Turkey is evaluated
- A foreigner should confirm with the behavior that decided to settle in Turkey. (Buying real estate in Turkey, investing, build a business, transfer the trade or business center to Turkey, to work in a workplace with permission to work or to marry a Turkish citizen, family appeal, having the relatives who previously gained Turkish citizenship such as father, mother, children or siblings, or to complete education in Turkey,
- In terms of general health, there should be no dangerous disease,
- He/she must have good morality (he/she should give confidence to its environment and behaviors in the society, and should not have bad habits that are not welcome and contrary to the values of society),
- To be able to speak Turkish at a level that can adapt to social life,
- The person must have income or profession to ensure the livelihood which is obliged to look at itself and dependants in Turkey,
- The person should not be in a position to endanger national security and public order.
Acquiring Turkish Citizenship as Exceptionally
After providing that there is no danger to national security and public order, foreigners may acquire Turkish Citizenship by the Ministers’ proposal and the Council of Ministers’ decision.
Foreigners which providing industrial plants to Turkey, or have passed the extraordinary services such as economic, social, sporting, cultural, scientific, technological, and artistic fields, or are expected to do so, and have been reasoned proposal by the relevant ministries,
- Foreigners who hold a residence permit according to the Law on Foreigners and International Protection No.6458 and foreigners who hold a Turkuaz Card and their foreign spouse, minor and dependent children,
- Foreigners who are required to be naturalized,
- Foreigners who accept migrant (These are connected to the Turkish descendants and Turkish culture alone or batches Turkey come to settle, which are foreign acceptable according to migrant Settlement Law No. 5543)
Turkish Citizenship by Investment
The Turkish Government launched a new system in 2018 for those who want to become Turkish citizens. According to this system, Turkish citizenship is granted to at least USD 250,000 to purchase real estate in Turkey or at least USD 500,000 for a three-year investment to avoid touching the record they make on foreign investment. This system may also benefit those who invest at least USD 500,000 in fixed capital or employ 50 Turkish personnel.
Turkish Citizenship by Marriage
If a foreigner marries a Turkish citizen, he/she cannot be a Turkish citizen directly. He/she must be married to a Turkish citizen for three years and must continue to be married. Turkish citizenship can be granted to foreigners who meet these requirements;
- The state of living within family unity,
- The requirement that the marriage union does not engage in any activity that contradicts it,
- There must be no circumstances that could pose a risk to national security and public order.
- After applying, if there is a death of a Turkish citizen spouse, the condition of living in a family union is not sought.
Turkish Citizenship by Adoption
As of the date of the adoption decision, a minor adopted by a Turkish citizen may acquire Turkish citizenship, provided that there is no risk to public order and national security.
On request of our foreign representative offices abroad and the Provincial Directorate of Population and Citizenship in Turkey, a Blue Card is issued to Turkish citizens by birth but lose their Turkish citizenship by obtaining permission to leave and their children who are traded together. Unless they pose a danger to national security and public order, blue cardholders have the same rights as Turkish citizens. However, blue cardholders are not obliged to perform military service and are not entitled to elect and be elected/enter public duties and import vehicles or household goods. If they have acquired social security-related rights, the provisions of the law shall retain and use them.